Saturday, June 16, 2012

Two big days in a row...

Lots of news. After my IV vitamin C treatment yesterday, I felt so good I decided we should drive to Sedona. We headed north around 10 a.m. What a drive! The scenery keeps getting more spectacular as you go. In an hour and a half, we hit red rock desert, stopped to buy hats and get a map at the visitor center and admired the incredible view. Next stop was some chapel. You drive up around the bend but then it's a fairly steep climb around a paved path to the top. I felt like I could make it and did, even under the broiling sun. A bit cooler up there, it was still what a northeasterner would call HOTTT.

On the way up, I glanced at Butters, who was looking very worried. His head turned around pleadingly, hunched over and delicately lifting one paw after the other, the poor thing was being burnt! Steve scooped him up and all was well. After the chapel, we headed up to Sedona itself. The tiny town is quite touristy but not terribly tacky. Steve parked the car while Margaret and I sat in an outdoor cafe under big, yellow umbrellas. Lunch could not have been more perfect. The service was incredibly friendly, the food delicious, the breeze kept it from being too hot, and they provided water for the dog as a matter of course. Mexican food, very fresh and delicious. Yum! We headed farther North to Slide Rock state park. What a blast. Although we couldn't take Butters down to the creek, we took turns and even I managed to do a little sliding on this natural water slide where the creek runs over flat, smooth rocks. The water was 63 degrees and unbelievably refreshing under the hot sun. I can't wait to go back when I have my catheter out! Margaret and Steve were able to slip in and out of the pools and get really wet. Soaked and happy, we headed north yet again to loop up and catch 17 south. On the way, we passed through even more microclimates, including a pine forest that seemed positively Alpine if you didn't open a window. On our way back, we stopped again to show Margaret the cliff dwellings at Montezuma's Castle (I called it Table in error before.) I felt strong enough to walk in with her and see it again. Glad I did.

 We got back to hotel, dressed in a hurry and met Jeff and Dian Weisman for dinner. Jeff was my Master licensee with ActionCOACH and I haven't seen him in ages. They are both wonderful people and we enjoyed a really good Thai meal. Jef and I agreed to get together again before I leave to reminisce and talk over all the stuff that bores everyone else silly.






 The big news for today is that we moved! Thanks to my wonderfully generous in-laws, we are out of our tiny hotel suite and ensconced in a furnished apartment. The only ones in the area are called, accurately LUXURY and we are feeling well and truly pampered! Margaret and I can't wait to use the two pools, spa (very inexpensive massages) free yoga and zoomba classes. Plus, their smallest unit has two bedrooms and bath, so we are much better set up for all the wonderful folks coming to visit and/or look after me. I was starting to feel claustrophobic after just two weeks sharing one room. Even with a suite, there were no walls and nowhere to escape if you couldn't sleep or just wanted space. I feel better already! To see the place, click Video Tour of Sage Apartments

1 comment:

  1. Hey Colleen,

    Thank you for sharing your journey.. I love the stories, I feel like I am there with you.. you are an inspiration to me!

    Lots of love and wishes for many years of great life ahead for you

    Hayley xx

    ReplyDelete