Saturday, June 9, 2012

Catheters, sightseeing and friends and family...the bad and the good together

As I lie here writing this, I am deciding whether to have the pleural catheter removed from my lungs, even though it is still draining. At this point, the pain where the catheter emerges from my chest is the biggest problem I'm facing. It keeps me from exercising, or even walking, swimming or stretching. Unfortunately, we thought we were close to getting it out because I was draining far less from it. But this morning, it was suddenly 100 ml again. This isn't a ton of fluid, but it's in the wrong direction. The risk if I have them take it out is that the lung will fill up and need to be drained again. Worse, they could want to put a catheter back in. That's a tough thought to face. But I am starting to fear that this thing is a big obstacle to my getting better. Lying about is not healthy for me. Beyond this, it's been a nice few days. My friend Jacqueline arrived Wednesday evening and she and I had a great dinner out. On Thursday, I had chemo and then Steve drove us an our north to Montezuma's Table National Monument. This is the site of ancient cliff dwelling, something I've always wanted to see. It was incredibly hot, but we walked slowly around the 1/3 mile circuit, resting in the shade. Very cool. After a great lunch in a hole-in-the-wall Mexican place Jackie found with Siri, we drove to Montezuma's Well, an almost circular pond around which the same people lived about 700 years ago. I felt well enough to climb all the way down and back up. I took pain meds for the ride home. After dinner, Jackie and I went to Applebee's for karaoke. I sang twice. I was super flattered when the DJ clearly enjoyed and complimented me on my songs. It was Jackie's suggestion that I sing "over the rainbow" and there was a big round of applause afterwards (most of the singers were pretty roundly ignored)' so that made my night. Today, we drove 2 hours to Tucson and had lunch with Steve's aunt Margaret, her husband John and daughter Lynn, neither of whom I'd met. It was a lovely time. Butters was a perfect gentleman. I feel a bit better, so going to go out and walk around the pool in the warm night air.

2 comments:

  1. karaoke sounds like so much fun! did you get any pictures?? let me know what you decide to do about the catheter. give daddy and butters my love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and you can have my love too :)

    ReplyDelete