Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Margaret/Maggie arrives out of the blue....


My platelet count dropped, so they have given me an extra injection this morning and want me on more b vitamins.  With this, plus the antibiotic they’ve added, my biggest challenge is nausea.  I am glad to have the Compazine and Zofran left over from sloan kettering. 

The big development is that Margaret is here.  She decided that she wanted to be here rather than in London doing the internship.  Yesterday, while we were at Staples faxing invoices to the insurance biller, we got a phone call from her saying “I’m at JFK and will be there at 10 tonight.”  Wow!  Fortunately, Ann and Jef (with whom she is doing the London internship,) were not only understanding, but encouraging.  Ann, with her Irish belief that too much hope tempts the Gods, thinks I am definitely dying.  Incredibly generous as always, she put Margaret on the plane.  What a friend! 

We are more positive about my expiration date, but understand how Margaret would want to spend time with me either way.  It’s not clear yet how long she will stay.  She wants to stay all summer but may change her mind if I am doing better, or being here gets too boring and depressing. She’s welcome back in London anytime.  My preference would be for her to be there (not for me, but for her), but she knows her own mind and heart and I respect that.  Plus, it’s great to have her around.  She’s a great caregiver, compassionate but calm and level-headed.  We are invited to Aunt Margaret’s for their annual Father’s Day get-together on Sunday, and it will be nice to finally get the two Margaret’s together and to meet that side of the family.

A story I keep forgetting to tell…the Whopper Junior.  The day I decided to come out here for treatment was not easy.  I knew the process of pulling together my records and sending them here would be anxiety-producing, so I asked Devra to come up and help.  She was a great comfort as we dug through all the paperwork and found the key tests and bloodwork they wanted.  I also had to write a bullet-point summary of my cancer story.  Going through all this again felt like someone had picked up a smelly, filthy lead-lined overcoat out of a dumpster and threw it over my shoulders. It brought me to my knees, with feelings of dread, rage and grief overwhelming me.  By the evening, I was in a foul and fragile mood.  All of a sudden, I announced to Steve, “I want a Whopper Junior!” (At the time, I was still on a vegan diet.)  In two minutes, he had googled the nearest Burger King.  My inner two-year-old in charge, I replied “Forget it, it won’t help.”  He, wise man, just waited.  A minute more, and I said grouchily, “Okay, let’s go.”  Driving through the dark, I just let go of any dignity or reserve and wailed. I keened in fear and rage, an inchoate protest that doesn’t hope to be heard and doesn’t care.  Finally, I took a deep breath.  Shakily, but firmly, I said “Okay.”  Pause.  “Okay.” And it was.  We got to the restaurant, Steve ran in and, in just a few minutes, I sank my teeth into burger and fries.  Heavenly. We laughed on the way home, me feeding Steve fries as he drove.  Sometimes, you just have to take a break from being good!

So treatment continues apace.  I am hearing good things about this place from people here who’ve done much more research than I did.  They seem to have a good record of success, and I am talking today to a woman who had lymphoma and was here 8 months.  She is now on follow-up and doing wonderfully.  She looks like a million bucks.  Always good to see!

2 comments:

  1. Glad & sad: I guess there is a lot of that. Proud of Maggie for following through on her inclination to be with you, I know that must've felt good for her. But your story about the Whopper Junior brought tears to my eyes. I'm sorry for your frustration & grief, but as always admiring. You let your inner two-year old out AND blogged about it?!?! You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had the fortune to meet you yet, but your daughter Is a very brave and wonderful young woman.

    With all love,

    Lily, a friend of Maggie's in London x x

    ReplyDelete