Monday, June 25, 2012

Sweet consolations...

Colin left Friday afternoon, right after I got back from my wonderful oncology massage. I was totally relaxed, sad to see him go and grateful for a really nice week with my little brother. We hadn't spenr that kind of time together since we were kids and we got along very well. He is a big animal lover, so Butters got another fan. He was a great caregiver and companion. Such a nice opportunity that came out of this mess. It was interesting being on my own for a half day. In the end, it was fine, but I realize how spoiled I've gotten in having someone around to walk Butters and get things for me when its so hard to move without pain. It makes me grateful that my family has insisted on my being accompanied throughout this time. At around 10:30 p.m., my friends arrived. They had managed to coordinate themselves to arrive from Boston, San Francisco and Jersey into one rental car. I can't even begin to tell how great it was to have them here. I've known Kristen, Susan and Bridget since we moved to Andover, CT when I was 3. Jacqueline joined the party when we all went to the regional junior high at age 12. So, we knew each other when. We started by getting into bathing suits and taking Butters out to the pool, where he isn't allowed. We happened to encounter the man who had just turned out the torches. He apologized and told me the dog wasn't allowed. I smiled and said "I know," at which he shrugged and left. I have changed. I think it can be filed under "things you finally realize you can't control," and I find I just don't seem to care as much how people think of me. While I can see why they have the rule, I can also see why it works best if not well enforced. If someone cares enough to complain, or if others with badly behaved dogs start to bring them in, then I'll put Butters in his crate. Until then, he seems to spread a lot of joy at the pool, as people laugh at his comical greetings and obvious happiness to be there. So we sat on the pool steps (I still can't swim but they did,) in the dark and relative cool (I'd guess around 90 degrees), and started our visit. Not all of us have kept in touch, so we had some catching up to do on families, careers, living arrangements, etc. We had decided to bunk in, despite not having quite enough beds and (to my embarrassment,) blankets. Nonetheless, by midnight, all were settled in under sheets on the beds, aerobed and couch. This is kind of a funny way to entertain. I mean, I had very little in the house ready for them, not even blankets! Yet, they weren't in a mood to complain. It wasn't the point and it was a little weird, a situation in which there isn't a norm to follow. Despite this, or maybe because of it, we had an amazing time. In the morning, Jackie drove all of us to drop me off at acupuncture and they all went out for breakfast. Their massages started at 11 a.m. and I got a kick out of seeing each of them return with the identical rosy, slightly puffy and wide-eyed look of someone just awakenEd from a lovely nap. It was great that the massages forced us to do nothing but hang about all day. One essential trip was made by Kris and Jackie to Bevmo to get the ingredients for Margarita's, prepared by Sue. I took a nap while they sat by the pool and we headed out for dinner at 7. Nobuo was recommended by Kris' friend who lived in Japan as some of the best Japanese food in the country. We couldn't get a reservation but were told we might get into the lounge if we just showed up. We seemed a little late for that, but pressed ahead. I think we all envisioned being crammed into a bar around little tables, rubbing elbows with strangers. When we got there, we were shown right away into a separate room with a leather couch, little ottomans and a coffee table, all to ourselves. The building was turn-of-the-century brick, with 14- foot ceilings, skylight transoms and original woodwork. Settling in with really great cocktails (just sips for me after a Margarita) that tasted tangy and of jasmine tea (only Sue's wasn't great, tasted of soap), we looked over the menu. It's my favorite way to eat, with small dishes meant for sharing. I was content to let everyone else order and, with a total of 11 small dishes for the 5 of us, our feast started to arrive. What a totally perfect evening. The food was fantastic, interesting, fresh, yummy. My favorites were a watermelon salad with chèvre, soft shell crab salad and sea bass with enoki and morel mushrooms that just melted in your mouth. We split the only two desserts on offer, an incredibly smooth chocolate mousse with green tea ice cream (perfect) and almond beignets with caramel sauce and ice cream (divine.). Lots of laughs, love, photo-taking and the perfect amount of fabulous food. It helped that I was on oxycodone for the pain, I'm sure! Sunday morning was rough for me. The antibiotic and niacinamide I take make me nauseous and I have to be super-careful how I manage it with anti-emetics and eating enough. I was sloppy and paid the price. Hard as it was, it was very sweet to have Sue rub my back as I retched and sobbed over the toilet. It's not just the great times that make you appreciate your friends. Oddly, though I didn't vomit, just the retching seemed to help and I felt ready for our outing. The Heard Museum of Native American art and history was great. Sue was smart enough to suggest a wheelchair and I was smart enough to go for it. After a nice lunch in the cafe, we spent a few hours in the museum. Kris adored the Kachina dolls in particular and Jacqueline, who studied Native American dance, was really psyched to be there. My Mom called to say she'd arrived and we managed to get her into my apartment to wait for us (where she immediately started ironing, bless her heart!) We probably stayed 30 minutes too long because I started feeling a bit desperate for a rest, but I'm really glad we went. When we got back and I had another nap, we headed out to Cafe Barrio for excellent Mexican food, sad and sweet goodbyes and they were off to the airport. Mom and I are having a great time. She came with me to treatment and sat there as I slept. Obviously, visiting did take up some energy, since I slept in the treatment chair from 7:30 to 12:00, right after a good night's sleep! My lung still hurts since I can't drain it fully, but the catheter infection seems less sore. It's nice to have a quiet day, but I am so, so, so happy my friends came out. It was one of the happiest, sweetest times ever, one of the great things that can come only from adversity. Can't say it's worth it, but it's a tremendous consolation. Thanks again!!!!

1 comment:

  1. We all love you and we are with you everyday in spirit. Not always enough but it's something!

    ReplyDelete