Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Moving to the desert...

Two weeks ago, I got the bad news. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the treatment has failed. The cancer, possibly in reaction to surgery, has exploded back into the skin, my lymph system and my lung. The news actually came on slowly enough, and I am aware enough of the implications of various things, to not have been shocked. I could see that the scar was not healing, seemed to be getting worse. I could feel the effect in my lung. bBut there's nothing like that old 2x4 between the eyes.... So what do you do? It's interesting how the mind takes in bad news, in a step-wise fashion, forward and back, acceptance and denial and distraction as it creeps up on you that things have changed. And I did despair. I found myself overwhelmed by grief and anger and terrible fear. It's been a very hard few weeks. But I have decided not to throw in the towel quite yet. A friend recommended an alternative treatment center in Arizona and I looked into it. I have to be honest and say that an extensive due diligence is more than I can take right now. I like their general approach, which is to attack the tumor through low-dose chemo potentiated by insulin. It's an FDA-approved, though still controversial (what isn't?) approach to try to target the cancer with chemo. It allows you to have less chemo, so the rest of the body says stronger. More importantly, they treat the immune system through IV vitamin c, detoxification, other vitamins, etc. They hope to help your own immune system fight the cancer, rather than just directly attacking it with surgery, radiation and drugs. The odds against me are long either way. With the traditional approach, I'm guaranteed a lot of discomfort and no cure. My hope is that this will offer a higher quality of life and perhaps even allow me to get into and maintain a true remission. So I am in the process of doing paperwork, making phone calls, packing and moving my life to the desert for at least a month or two. I plan to continue coaching and staying in touch with everyone. But, if you happen to be out west and want to come visit, I would love that!!! I'll post when I have dates.

2 comments:

  1. Justine Childs FriedmanMay 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM

    Apparently that sound is a pin dropping. What hard news for you and the many who love you so. I hope for the BEST possible outcome from your time in AZ and as much equilibrium as you can muster while you navigate this storm.

    I have heard 2nd marriages described as "the triumph of hope over experience" and maybe that's what is called for here? What do I know; I have no good advice -- except to use your energy to manage yourself and let everyone else manage themselves. Not easy when you are used to juggling so many plates. But better some broken plates than a broken you.

    Hugs and all good thoughts directed to you and they will keep coming,
    Justine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen, I am wishing you the best. Like you said early on in your posts it can be hard to figure out the right thing to say, but I do know that its been incredible watching you handle all of this rapid news. I can only imagine whats its like. Im so proud that you kept on coming to class and performed in our last show. Keep your mind really occupied, and I I hope the alternative treatment, and change of atmosphere will help you and heal you. You are very courageous and capable, and I have learned a lot from your attitude and outlook. If you want, I can send you links to some songs that you might like, music is a healing agent also.
    Continue to take good care, and know that lots of people are sendIng you good vibes!!

    Darius

    ReplyDelete