Sunday, May 20, 2012

Breathing is a beautiful thing...

Great truth for the day: life is easier without two liters of fluid in one of your lungs. That said, it's not so hot to get the fluid out of there. The first try was yesterday morning. It sounded easy enough, a simple procedure to do right in the room. A little local anesthetic, a needle inserted into the lung through the ribs (ugh) slide in the catheter and drain the fluid into bottles. I sat on the bed and leaned my arms onto the tray table. The local injection hurt, but it seemed okay. I felt reasonably calm and looking forward to getting it over with. All of a sudden, I felt lightheaded. I tried to ignore it, but it got worse and worse. I had to fess up and they helped me lie over onto my side. I felt terrible, but better with my legs up. I lay there giving myself a pep talk to get this over with, slowly sat up again, and the doctor reinserted the needle. Instant blackout reaction. I was sweating, leaning over the tray table and praying to make it just the few more moments needed to get the catheter in and draining. I couldn't do it. I was shaking, crying, and almost unconscious. They lay me down on the bed, making apologies and telling me this happens, I shouldn't feel bad, etc. As if my biggest worry was whose fault it was, rather than that I'd just gone through Hell and still had all this crap in my lung! They were able to get enough fluid to send out a sample for testing. Choices of why this happened include cancer in the lung (bad, bad, bad), infection (unlikely), and injury. Not worrying about it. Results in a day or two. It took a long time to sort out plan B but they finally told me I'd have it done the next morning under sedation. Although this meant no food or drink after midnight, I was thrilled at the idea of being under during the drainage. I slept well. This morning they came to get me at 8:30 and wheeled me down to cat scan. I lay there for awhile on a stretcher until the nurse came and described the procedure. As I listened, I realized she hadn't mentioned any sedation and asked. When she said no, an "Oh no!" burst out of me, in a voice obviously fighting tears. How embarrassing. But how crushing, not only the thought of the whole nasty thing, but what if I fainted again? Karen was very reassuring, putting on a blood pressure cuff and telling me she would get me through it. I had to lie on my side and get a cat scan first. To give you an idea of the state of things (me), they wouldn't let me get up or help myself onto the table. They just slid me around on a board like a big sack of meat. Okay, so here we were again. Not to whine or anything, but I wish they'd give you pain meds for the damn numbing injections. It hurt, and it burned, and I've just had about freaking enough of this crap, okay? But I have to say, he worked quickly and well and the catheter was in very quickly and, hallelujah, we were draining! Then Karen told me that I might start coughing when the fluid drained and the lung started to expand. Thank God for the warning. Lying on my side immobilized, I coughed, coughed again, and then again. And I was coughing hard, unable to catch my breath, fighting panic. "Breathe out like you're putting out a candle" and I was brought back to LaMaze class as I puffed away, squeezed Karen's fingers, gasping, whimpering, trying not to panic. Somehow, I got through it and we we done. Two freaking liters of fluid in one lung. The fluid builds up between the pleural sac that encases the lung and the airways. My poor little airways, squashed in by all that water, we're basically collapsed. Lying there, every breath hurting and feeling pain I my shoulder, hip, back, it was easy to think something had gone wrong. But, as soon as I could stand it, they shoved me back into the scanner and announced that all was well. The lung reinflated fully, my cheeks looked pinker. Success! Getting the lung back to normal ain't going to be a picnic. Good news is there is no pain when i breathe normally. But every deep breath hurts a lot. And, a sharp intake of breath to laugh, cry or just move quickly creates an unbearable spasm. So I am on Percocet to take the edge off and instructed to use the incentive spirometer to stretch the lung tissue back out. As I write this, I am sitting up in a chair and feeling quite good. I can walk around my room and no longer have to cough every time I say more than 10 words in a row. The pain when I breathe in is getting better. Home tomorrow! Despite the lousy news, I am cheerful, even joyful. For the first time in my life, I feel fully justified in living one day at a time. Doing my best not to worry but to work hard at getting better, staying a step ahead of the cancer, hoping for extremely good luck and loving being alive. Time flies...off to my breathing exercises!

2 comments:

  1. Breath. Just breath. My motto! Your motto now, too! Love you and I am so proud of you and in awe of your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Colleen,
    John and I are following your adventures and admiring your writing--it's really powerful. I hope when all this is over you will publish these blog writings as a book. I think it would have a wide readership.

    Love,
    Aunt Margaret

    ReplyDelete