Friday, October 14, 2011

Is it okay to pray for strangers?

Last night, three weeks after learning I have cancer, two weeks after learning I have breast cancer, and one week after learning that I have invasive, (probably) triple-negative cancer that is already in my lymph nodes, I was getting my hair done.  I joked with Liz about the wisdom of dropping $175 on foils, color and cut when I don’t know when they want to start chemo and it all might end up falling out. 
She offered me a free promotional massage and, after I said yes, the owner called me aside.  Gently, he reminded me that I can’t because of fear of spreading.  He then suggested I come in to let them shave my head right away when I start to lose my hair (this was already my plan.)  And he told me something people have started telling me lately, which is that breast cancer is “no big deal” anymore, tough but do-able.  This is meant to be reassuring, of course, but it’s certainly not true.  In fact, I think it’s going to go into my new book “21 Stupid Things to Say to People in Trouble,” in the chapter “Minimizing Their Pain.”  I am collecting, along with tons of incredibly love, support and wisdom from others, a lot of material for the book these days!
So, after all of this, and just because it was TIME, my grief started to roll in on me.  Grief comes in waves, and a major Tsunami that has been building under the surface started to crest.  Liz came out as I was leaving and gave me a hug. I paid, added the tip and got ready to leave, all the while avoiding making eye contact with the woman behind the counter and obviously struggling not to cry.  I could feel that she wanted to say something, but she didn’t.  As I turned to leave, I caught her eye and she asked me “Is it okay to pray for strangers?” 
All I could do was nod, get to my car and let the flood gates open.  Such an odd question, isn’t it?  She was, in effect, asking my permission to care about me, even though she doesn’t know me.  Who would need permission for that, yet I felt the caring and humility, the delicacy, to use an old-fashioned word, in her question.  A bit of delicacy and compassion in a vulgar reality-TV world goes a long way when you are holding body and soul together with scotch tape and chewing gum.  I am grateful.

9 comments:

  1. Praying for you all the time, Colleen. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen,

    A touching story made profound by your wit, courage and openness.

    Thank you for sharing your journey and insights.

    thoughts and prayers are coming your way.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is most definitely okay to pray for strangers. Great story, thank you for sharing and as a side note, well written. I have always been amazed by your writing ability and style.

    Coach Kent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Colleen, my thoughts are with you. I admire how you can process everything, and keep your special wit and positive slant on things! If theres anything I can do. please let me know. I encourage you to keep up your musical and singing endeavors, its great for the soul.
    Your piano player,
    Darius

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Friend,

    my thoughts are with you

    alles Liebe
    Kathrin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this poignant moment. One person's clumsy attempt at comfort counterbalanced by an unexpected glimmer of grace. Friends, family and strangers alike are rooting for you, my dear. You write beautifully.
    Big hug,
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. my love to you is winging its way across the ocean Colleen,
    hugs, Jenny xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Coleen
    When I was diagnosed with breast cancer it already has spread to my bones and lungs. The Yale doctor gave me 3-4 months to live, but my Hartford hospital doctor said: "forget her words. just imagine a future in which you are free of cancer and live this future every day". I kept my imagined future through chemo and surgeries, through endless nausea and midnight visits to the emergency room. Now, 14 years later, I still live this future and so will you. One step at a time, one day it will all be behind you. Praying for you and your lovely family.
    Michal (your mom's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got to reading your earlier posts. To me, praying for strangers s a must. To pray only for those you know is a form of selfishness. Always pray for strangers, for their hurts and needs are beyond your awareness.
    Peace,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete