Wednesday, July 11, 2012

To Hell and Back...

In order to try to deal with the persistent queasiness, I've tried all manner of things. One of the most recent was Marinol, a pill containing THC, from marijuana. I tried it the morning we went to the acquarium. First impression was that it did not work at all. I was nauseous all morning, and felt otherwise normal. After getting home, I waited a while before deciding to increase the dosage. At this point, I was lying down, and thank goodness. Some time after taking the second pill, I realized I had dozed off. I woke up with an incredible feeling of warmth (side effect), drowsiness and no nausea. This seemed good at first, but soon started to take on a nightmarish aspect. I kept having the feeling that I was dreaming or watching a movie instead of being awake. This disassociation, coupled with a slight paranoia was awful. It took hours to feel normal. I hated it. I imagine it could be useful if I were in terrible pain or vomiting. I hope I never need it! Yesterday, I tried another drug, in suppository form. It was a tough day already. In the morning, the doctor told me that, as I had suspected, my tumor markers had gone up not down. They fear the cancer is resistant and not responding. They will tweak my chemo regimen starting Friday. He told me not to give up hope. But it was hard news to hear. I found myself weepy and afraid all day. I took the medication in the afternoon. It didn't seem to make me less nauseous, at least not right away. But it sedated me. The sedation had a depressive effect, exactly what I didn't need! By later afternoon, I found myself in a state of utter despair. It's hard to describe how awful it was. I could not shake it, try as I might. I was in a Hell of my own making, trapped in my misery, barely able to be civil. I apologized to Margaret for being in a place so dark even her love and kindness could not reach me. I couldn't imagine an end to it, other than suicide, which I would not do, but truly seemed a better option than living in that kind of emotional pain. I was in Hell. I'm not sure how long it lasted, at least a few hours. Then, two things happened. I decided to take an oxycodone for pain, which I knew would also lift my mood. And I realized there was only one way out, which was to come to terms with the worst. I remembered that I was capable of finding peace, even without hope. I started to meditate, breathing and thinking about how my life is connected to a much greater reality. I allowed myself to feel that connectedness to all of life, how unimportant my life and death are in the larger scheme. And, finally, I found myself feeling peace, even joy. This is not the same as giving up. But, by feeling at peace with the possibility of my own death, I can enjoy my life, and face the hardest parts with greater courage. I do not want to die young. But I can face it if I have to. I know that now. And that makes it easier. Somehow, facing the greatest fear makes the smaller things easier as well. I know I'll continue to have bad feelings throughout this. But to know I can pull myself back from Hell itself, is a great comfort. I know this will have been a hard blog for many of you to read. You, of course, don't want to think about my losing this battle. I'm glad for that. But I need all available energy to do what I need to do. Knowing that my death is not the end of the world is something I need to know right now. If I am at peace with either outcome, then I am at peace with the world. Haven't given up, I'm just going to be happy either way if I possibly can.

6 comments:

  1. Colleen, I knew you a little in High School, not very well, but observationally, I always knew that you were one who LIVED LIFE, and that, fully. I don't think you've wasted one moment, have you? I'm pretty discerning, and with people like you, it's not rocket science. You were born a success. It is enviable! You were a whole person, knew yourself (which is so important) and walked the walk, even as a teen!
    The mind-job that a life-threatening illness gives a person, made even more difficult by pain and other physical problems, is more than the average person will ever have to go through in this lifetime. The inane stuff that people whine about is ridiculous in comparison.
    The love of my life survived kidney cancer (so far 3 years) so I know a tiny speck of what one goes through, at least from the "loved one's perspective."
    I am so happy for you that you have lived your life fully, that you have loved and have accomplished so much. You don't have to suffer the additional anguish of "oh, if only" while you do battle. I hope that you transcend all of this evil that has attacked you. I hope that you overcome and live to move on to your next set of accomplishments. Dream big! I hope for you, I surround you with prayers. I look up to you with even more respect and admiration than I had toward you long ago in High School, knowing you the tiny bit that I did. I am happy that you have such wonderful family and friends; it is a testimony to the person that you are. I hate that this is happening to you and I HOPE for the miracle healing to come soon. Much love, and light, N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Colleen, You continue to inspire me every day. You are sharing what we all need to understand and embrace. Thank you for taking the time to share this most personal journey. Acceptance and being at peace are not giving up. Moving out of our personal pain and fear is a daunting task, but as you attest, you create your own place of peace and joy. And as we can read, you are moving from a place of great challenge. I will continue to hold the loving space I have in my heart for you, and follow your courageous lead. Meanwhile, I always knew your kids would be fantastic! I love you and your family. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Colleen,

    We have not met in person but you've been so close to my heart since your sister Devra told me about you. I think about you and pray for you everyday for strength and perseverance to withstand what you're going through. Every time I read your blog, my own pain seems to be very little compared to yours. You are truly my inspiration.

    Love,
    Fe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen, what a happy ending to your post. I'm so glad you are just writing what you feel and about how you feel. That seems so important. I continue to pray for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our lives are connected and interconnected with the world around us. We are not alone, but part of a greater whole. Our family, friends, and communities - other people we know - are the closest part of that greater whole. We are bigger than ourselves because we are also alive in the people we know. As we have often discussed, I see life as more pre-determined. I have learned, none-the-less, of the importance of freedom of choice. People are what they choose. To not choose, or to believe that you have no choices, is to be without hope.

    Saying good-bye to friends and colleagues, and to not see them again - maybe not ever again, is an ordinary event in ordinary lives. How many plays have you been in, events arranged, concerts sung, and on and on. You've touched thousands of lives and said thousands of good byes. I see from your writing that I want and need to see death as just another of those more ordinary good byes. Some day, hopefully a long time from now, death will force us to say good bye. I want and need to rid myself of the fear of death-driven good byes. You will not really be gone - as you will be living on in the people around me. And who is to say that I won't see you again soon? Science is yet a long long way from penetrating all the secrets of the world of which we are a small part.

    I hope this comment finds you already feeling better. I am feeling better as I've purged myself of some tears and shaken off some of my fears and steadied myself for the challenges of the day ahead of me, determined to choose to embrace the joys that come with each one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen,

    I have no words to describe the admiration I have for you. Since the first time I met you (do you remember? You, Steve and I met to have lunch at Pennington to discuss Steve's assignment and family move to Brussels) it was apparent to me right away that you were an exceptional woman. You have touched many lives, and you are the pride of Steve and your family. I thank you for sharing the fight for your life with us. Your writing is inspiring me to be a better person. I agree with Steve's comments. My family and I are praying with all our faith for you and your recovery.

    ReplyDelete