Sunday, March 18, 2012

Surgery is scheduled...

Unless my ct-scan of lungs tomorrow is not good enough, I will have a left mastectomy and lymph node dissection next Wednesday the 28th at Sloan Kettering in manhattan. I am relieved to have a date, and will be glad to have it behind me. I am frightened of the general anesthesia and intubation, though I know I'm unlikely to remember waking up and panicking from a tube down my throat, I've seen someone else go through it and I hate the thought. Generally, I don't think about it much. Why worry? I just hope the recovery is easy and that I get used to living without one of my boobs quickly. Since I won't have a reconstruction, I'll have to decide how to deal with that. I assume I'll just wear a prosthesis and avoid low cut shirts, but I never did wear that damned wig, so we'll see... In the meantime, I am healing from chemo. My lungs don't hurt much now unless I exercise or have a cold. I got one this week, despite my attempts at limiting germ exposure. But all the uv exposure to make vitamin d, plus a ton of vitamin C and Niacin, and I recovered in a couple of days. I've been walking and doing Pilates. My strength is returning. My feet and fingers are still numb and tingly and my legs ache when I walk for a while, but I think it's getting better slowly. My eyelashes are about 1/16 of an inch long but are definitely there! My eyebrows are taking their time and I'm a little worried about them. My hair looks really funny...a kind of halo of gray with dark patches here and there.It feels soft like baby hair and Steve rubs it when he walks by. It's definitely uglier than bald was, but, with the weather warmer, I usually just wear it as-is. I don't actually enjoy looking odd, but I'm too lazy to bother with a hat. People smile at me a lot, and look awkward sometimes. Its kind of nice not to give a hoot. I am looking forward to getting off the prednisone and being able to go to public places and see friends. I haven't been in a store, restaurant or office in weeks! It's wierd. Tomorrow, I will get my scan then drive to a dear friends father's funeral. Some things just must be done. Steve is traveling this week, so my wonderful Dad is coming to stay. He will be happy to see how much better I am. I worked on stripping paint from the stairs for hours today, and we took a 2 mile walk at the reservoir. It was glorious out and Butters made us laugh as he dashed about and played with the other dogs. It was hard work for me, walking hard to keep my heart rate up and pushing my poor, sad lungs to wheeze at maximum and my achy legs and feet to keep going, but I felt very much alive nd determined to stay that way! Happy Spring! Colleen

5 comments:

  1. I love you! Keep on keeping on you brave woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen,
    That's great news on your surgery having been scheduled. I will share with you an encounter with a a young lady in my breast surgeon's office that helped relieved me of my anxiety over my then upcoming bilateral mastectomy a little over a year ago. I was sitting in the surgeon's waiting area and this lady, in her thirties, started talking to me and my husband. She noticed that I had the complimentary bag of freebies which is given to all patients scheduled for surgery. Without my asking her, she told me she just had her bilateral mastectomy six months prior, gave me the assurance that everything would be fine, and that it was not as bad as I might imagine it to be. Only a few months had passed, but she had already been back at work and on that day, had come by herself for her doctor's appointment. I could not believe that's how quickly one could be so independent after a major surgery with a dreaded illness. She looked perfectly healthy to me. It did not even occur to me that she was a patient. So I thought, "OK, I can do this too. This is the picture of how I will look and what I can do in a few months." I realize now that she looked much better than I did six months after my surgery, but her reassurance and kind words helped me tremendously. It's taking me little longer than it took her, but I believe I am on my way to looking perfectly healthy. Everything will be fine, Colleen, and you'll be back whole or looking whole before you notice. I wish you everything good on your upcoming surgery.

    Take care,
    Fe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Colleen
    I just learned about your crazy adventure from Una. Be sure that we will be following your journey to recovery from now on. Will send you lots of energy from Iceland......
    Best wishes,
    Asta (Una's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Brave Colleen, You set the standard that most of us shy away from. Facing uncertainty you step forward with full strong heart and mind. With you every breath. All my love, Uncle B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen,

    Yup, the first surgery (and first time for most things) can be daunting, but remember the FEAR slide! Almost certainly when you wake up you'll have a little morphine button you can press when you feel discomfort. It's really good stuff, so use it, and you cannot overdose by repeated pushing of the button.
    Soon you'll be blogging again that it all passed much better than you anticipated.
    You will be just fine!
    Much love!

    ReplyDelete